Forum Title: Code Question In Ohio
Im doing some enclosed porch repairs that involved removing a rotted (they didn't use pressure treated lumber originally) 4x4 post in the corner of the existing porch deck and replacing it with a P.T. post. I also removed the 2x4 walls that enclosed the porch with plywood for siding and screeened openings instead of real windows that let water in and caused some rot, and rebuilt them better (to just essentially create a more weather-tight mudroom of sorts). there's a fair amount of work that took place but the porch is only about 140 sq. ft. we are not talking about a major addition or anything. the bottom line as far as I'm concerned is that the house had an enclosed porch, and it still has one, only in better condition supported in the same manner as far as posts and 2x4 walls. I figured all this stuff would fall under repairs or maintenance as far as the residential ohio building code was concerned. but I have the local building official now on my back after I'm almost done saying that I needed to pull permits for this repair and he's citing me section 105.2.2 saying that since I removed load bearing support the project needs drawings submitted etc. Im arguing that section applies where someone simply removes something. Not in my case where the removal was temporary and I put it back with solid (not rotted) lumber. I think my work should fall under 115.6 which states repairs don't need to meet requirements for new work provided they are done in the same manner and not less safe etc. Anyone in Ohio give me some insight or opinion on whether there is anything else I can use, or am I just in the wrong on this one? there hasn't been any mention if he wants everything taken apart-which would be impossible-the porch roof and deck would fall down as not enough of the original structure is still there to hold it up if I removed my work. I'm hoping all he wants is a little permit money and a couple of quick drawings, but the fact that he's even brought this up at all has me a bit worried. thanks for any advice anyone can give.
Category: General Contractor Post By: STANLEY REYNOLDS (Redding, CA), 02/22/2018

Resources & Links For Homeowners

requestaquote Get Free Quotes callnow 888-506-9527